Kitchen designs are always evolving and changing. The designs of kitchens are impacted by many things. This includes the style trends, appliances and technology, and space requirements. If you’re looking to mix modern and traditional kitchen design aesthetics, read on.
One aspect of kitchen design that has changed over time is whether it uses more modern styles or traditional ones like those found in Victorian homes.
Kitchens have gone from beige and boring to sleek and modern. And transitioned from ornate to simple with a classic feel. Modern kitchens seem to be all the rage right now, but what about those who prefer a more traditional style? How can you beautifully combine styles? Pairing modern designs with traditional ones is another way that kitchen designers are combining these two styles. By applying the best of both worlds, you can create an aesthetically pleasing room for cooking or entertaining guests.
Basic tips for combining modern and traditional kitchen design
If you have a modern home and want to bring in traditional elements or vice versa, here are some tips for how to combine these two styles beautifully:
– If you have a modern kitchen and want to add in some traditional elements, think about including wood cabinetry or cabinets. Wood is a classic material that never goes out of style. If cabinets are not something you want, then add in other wood elements like a farmhouse table. Or consider French country chairs for dining space.
– If you have a traditional kitchen and want to add in modern elements, think about introducing stainless steel appliances. Stainless steel is sleek and shiny so it contributes to the modern feel of your kitchen space. Also, consider including concrete countertops or subway tiles for added durability and style.
– If you have an old, classic range that has seen better days, consider replacing it with a new glass stovetop instead. Glass ranges are sleek and modern looking but they’re also practical. This is because they do not become as hot during cooking, which makes them safer than older stovetops.
– Take a look at your appliances and think about how they can be improved to fit in better with the modern or traditional styles. Consider having stainless steel re-painted by professionals for an updated color that works well.
– If you want to give your kitchen an entirely new design, consider having it completely gutted. Then have it remodeled with all modern appliances, countertops, cabinets, etc. This can be costly. But if you’re looking for something fresh and new, a whole kitchen renovation can be worth it.
– Keep in mind that small kitchens can look bigger and airier when designed with classic style choices. This includes elements like white cabinets or French country chairs. This is instead of dark-colored cabinetry or high-back chairs.
– If you have a large kitchen and want to add classic design elements, go for it! It’s possible to make your space look inviting with cozy nooks in the kitchen. Add traditional style choices like hardwood floors or patterned rugs that complement cabinetry and furniture. There is no limit to how your space can look, so feel free to design it according to what you want.
– Use contrasting colors of tile on the backsplash. For example, use white subway tiles for the countertops. And then use black or gray hexagonal tiles on the other vertical surfaces. This is behind where food is being prepared. And this is a great way to add interest and style without going overboard.
– Use multiple styles of light fixtures for more visual appeal. If you have recessed lighting in your kitchen, think about having it changed out with chandeliers or pendant lights instead. Or if you prefer overhead downlights but want something more modern than the standard builder grade, consider having them replaced with a modern-looking fixture.
– Think about having your countertops resurfaced as an alternative to complete replacement. Resurfacing is a cost-effective way of bringing new life and style back into your kitchen. And this is without the need for a full renovation.
Things to consider
– If you have granite countertops, maybe you want to add in some additional color. But you want to still keep the same feeling of luxury and sophistication. Think about adding an accent tile on the backsplash or around the sink area. Make sure it matches your granite. This is a beautiful way to bring together multiple designs.
– Try not to mix too many styles as this can make a kitchen feel cluttered. Instead, choose one primary style and add in elements or accents of another. This will give it contrast without being too busy. Another way that you can combine styles is by using modern colors with traditional materials. Take marble as an example. Marble has been used for centuries. So, pairing this material with more contemporary paint colors gives the room a nice contrast. It makes it feel fresh and new, but still traditional.
– If you want to make the design of your kitchen match both modern and traditional styles at once, consider going with a transitional look. Transitional kitchens feature elements from both designs. But they do this in an equal amount so they fuse seamlessly. That way neither is dominated by one over another. A bespoke kitchen can bring together transitional elements in a way that creates an aesthetically pleasing design.
Beautifully combining modern and traditional styles is done with careful planning and attention to detail. These basic and advanced tips make your space both beautiful and functional. With or without a bespoke kitchen design team.
If you plan to have a bespoke kitchen design, you book the services of an architect. They can help with designing your space to make it both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Our team at Baruchi Studios are bespoke kitchen design experts. We make our client’s kitchens as beautiful as possible. We take pride in our work and the bespoke designs we come up with. So, give us a call today if you’re interested!